About

About Williams

Latest News

04.03.2020

New colours in Bully.

The new and improved, even heavier BULLY is offered in the medium size 50 version of the three originals and available in 15 colours. Including the  3 classic 1/2 & 1/2 on silver base introduced in 2019 and the 3 long duration Glow pattern new for 2020.

04.03.2020

New colours in Wabler and Dartee.

The classic Wabler boast 2 new colours for 2020. The holographic Moon Jelly MJ in W40, 50 & 60 and the Halo HO,  orange with black Halo and silver back in sizes W30 through W70. The Dartee offers three new holographic "Jelly" patterns, MJ Moon Jelly, FJ Flame Jelly and BJ Banana Jelly

04.03.2020

The Giant ice jig, J70 is back in 10 colours.

This largest version of the decades old ice jig at 4-1/4" and 3/4 oz is a big fish bait. Popularized for ice fishing, hence the name but also effective jigged in open water.

HISTORY

 

The Williams Wabler design has endured for over a century. It is as Canadian as the maple leaf or hockey. The very first Williams Wablers were not originally manufactured in Canada. Commercial production began in the United States of America. The history of Williams spans both sides of the border.

 

During the Klondike gold rush of 1896 a group from the Williams family of Goldenville, Nova Scotia, journeyed west to find their fortunes. Sometime during the “Rush of ‘98,” they struck pay dirt in the Yukon. When their claim was exhausted or sold, the Williams boys decided to go their separate ways.

 

A.D. Williams established a small gold refinery in Kansas City in 1907. He began supplying local dentists with gold for fillings. His brother Malcolm ended-up in Fort Erie, Ontario. In 1912, A.D. Williams moved to Buffalo, N.Y. where he established the Buffalo based Williams Gold Refinery Company, directly across the Niagara River from his younger brother in Canada. Malcolm joined his brother’s business a few years later.

 

Williams Gold entertained their dentist clientele by taking them fishing to Kawagama Lake, a few miles NE of Dorset, Ontario. Sometime around 1914-1916, the basic design of the Williams Wabler was created while fishing for lake trout on Kawagama. Production in gold and genuine silver plated Wablers began circa 1915 to 1920 at the Buffalo plant and the Williams Wabler became available to anglers.

 

 In 1920, Williams opened a Canadian refinery in Fort Erie. By 1923 the Canadian location was also producing fishing lures. In November of that year, the Williams Wabler trademark was officially registered with the Canadian government and the Fort Erie plant went into lure production.  The Wabler was one of the few spoons to ever be granted a patent in the United States and Canada for the stabilizing ridge that helps to prevent rotation. A feature still found on most Williams lure series today and one that has become a “trademark” of Williams.

 

Malcolm’s son, Lloyd Cameron “Bud” Williams entered his father’s Canadian branch of the Williams organization in 1925. In the years to follow, it was Bud who was responsible for the success of the Williams Wabler. In 1978, the American tackle division transferred all production to the Canadian side of the business.

 

In 1986, the Williams families sold to Brush -Wellman. The new owners continued tackle production until 1989 when Brecks of Sherbrooke, Quebec, purchased the manufacturing rights to all Williams fishing tackle. Brecks has not only maintained the genuine silver and 24 carat gold finishes Williams are renowned for, it has improved upon them with new technologies. The lures are better than ever.

 

A Canadian classic with a worldwide reputation.

COMMUNITY

DOWNLOADS

Copyrights Brecks Inc. 2020. All Rights Reserved.